Wednesday, April 20, 2005

We can do better

Instead of consuming questionable brownies, today the class of ‘99 remembers Columbine. I’m sure you know exactly what I’m talking about; I still remember watching the TV: the kids my own age crawling out of windows, crying, not-believing.

I don’t know if we have done anything positive since that day. At the time (I was only 17 then) it struck me how unlike our parents we are. We were raised by a generation that had such difficulty being around that they invented the idea of “quality time.” The class of ’99 is not of particularly great stock either. On the cusp, we combine the cynicism of gen X-ers with the shallow materialism of gen Y-ers. We are trying to be better.

I’ll always think of Columbine in terms of the generational and communicational gap between parents and their kids. It seems though, in our hyper-speed-media-saturated-emotionally isolating culture, that the stakes are much higher than they used to be. This last election saw parents vote in favor of a war their now grown children want no part of. I don’t know if we can fix this, but I hope we can find a way to communicate with each other.

I don’t want to sound like I am blaming the parents or Baby Boomers for what happened 6 years ago. That has been done already. I hope maybe you can see Columbine the way I see it, and how dangerous it can get when we don’t know what our loved ones are thinking.
-Synthesis

1 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Jessica Barba said...

Sincerely agree with you on this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home