Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Crocodile tears for Voinovich

It is looking like John "Blunt" Bolton is going to be approved by the Senate. I am more worried about this than all those judges combined.

Voinovich is going out of his way to make it known that he does not support Bolton. He calls him a "lousy leader," and believes that we "...owe it to the United States of America, the U.S. State Department, our soldiers overseas, our children and our grandchildren to do better than Mr. Bolton."

I am so mad at him.

Voinovich had the opportunity to stop Bolton dead, he could have derailed this whole debate with a simple "no" vote in committee. That would have been enough to deny Bolton from ever reaching a vote in the full Senate. I have no doubt that when the final vote is made, Voinovich will side with the Democrats.

He should have done it when it really mattered. But he chickened-out. He proves that, once again, when their votes really mean something, we cannot count on moderate republicans to vote their conscience--not with this president, not with this congress.

I am increasingly convinced that John Bolton is something like step #5 on a 12-step path to our next war (Iran?). He is exactly who Bush wants in the U.N., a time-bomb waiting to go off. He will purposefully antagonize the U.N., so that when the next trumped up charges for military action are manufactured, he will have "reason" to not seek international agreement. Bush wants to go it alone.

I hope I am wrong about all this. I hope the nomination somehow sinks, that we don't start another unnecessary war. I hope that the neo-cons really aren't in power, and that we aren't entering their ideal state of perpetual militarism.

But if I turn out to be right on this one, I will never forget Voinovich's cowardice. He could have defused this bomb before it could ever blow-up in our faces.
-Synthesis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home