Friday, March 10, 2006

Racism

I immediately bristle when white people talk about any race issue (the worst being immigration). It doesn't matter whether they agree with me or not, my response is the same. It comes from having experienced very explicit (violent) and latent racism throughout my life. Sometimes I wonder what percentage of Americans actually are racist.

Racism is systemic in our society, pervading much of what we do and how we live. Though a white man may harbor no prejudice toward anyone, he is still incredibly likely to benefit from institutionalized racism. His opportunities are luxuries I can only imagine.

I face a double-edged sword. Because I am Hispanic, I am more likely to be offered a position in a school or a job. However, I must perform exceptionally well to escape the guilt of Affirmative Action, or the stereotype of the lazy Mexican.
-Synthesis

2 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what you're talking about when you say you face a double-edged sword. I'm a minority with a Master's degree but I still lose out on jobs given to others with less education and experience than I. I don't work hard or exceptionally well because I fear the guilt of affirmative action. Rather, it's because I'm a hard worker and I work well. My ethnicity had nothing to do with my character.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Synthesis said...

I still lose out on jobs given to others with less education and experience than I

How do you know this?
-Ian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home