Thursday, September 08, 2005

TTU Democrats, Katrina overload

Synthesis and I attended the Texas Tech University Democrats meeting tonight and were very impressed at the turnout -- somewhere around 50 people!

Check out their website for information on their upcoming meetings and activities. And, to any TTU students who stumbled onto this blog, welcome!

-------- -------- --------


I don't know about y'all, but this 2005 Katrina coverage is overloading me, much like the 9/11 coverage in 2001. Only now, the media is pushing back against the spin machines just a little bit harder than before. That cheers me up.

Dr. John Barkdull, one of our own Lubbock DFAers, has a blog with a good summary of how things stand in the aftermath of Katrina, along with a call for Bush to resign. Good stuff, John!

4 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Dr. John Barkdull said...

I've added a new entry to the blog. It's about the continuing and developing spin campaign. Blaming Brown, I think, is going to be an out for Bush, so he can avoid responsibility.

In a sensible political system, top people are held accountable for the failures of their appointees. Bush is trying to get off the hook for his own.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger johnnie said...

It's great the turnout for the campus Dems was so large.

Regarding Katrina, I'm glad the media is doing their jobs. It's a shame that there is a story to report about our government's incompetence. We can't let them off the hook now. We still have two months left in hurricane season. Our action, or inaction, could well be the difference between life and death for the next hurricane victims.

I'd quote Mayor Nagil (but I'm a bit too polite). Let's get off our @#$ and demand the changes that need to be made.

Our country is depending on us.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Dr. John Barkdull said...

Texas firefighters who went to Louisiana were put to work handing out brochures for FEMA. It turns out others, highly trained in emergency response, were nothing but props for Bush's media events. The story is in the Dallas Morning News. You can find it linked at RawStory:

http://www.rawstory.com/

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger johnnie said...

My husband is one of those firefighters working for FEMA. The stories of the misuse of their desperately needed services spread and did force FEMA to make some changes to the firefighters' duties.

As my husband said, "I'd be happy to hand out flier if that's all that needed to be done." At the time he said this, he was stuck in a hotel in Atlanta watching the dead and the dying in Lousiana. He said it was so painful to watch the suffering when he knew that he could help.

I'm proud of him and the others who joined him. I'm ashamed my government's priorities were so messed up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home